How to start Garage Door Services
The demand for home services will always be there
No matter how real estate trends develop, people will always need home-based services. For your own living or for investment, an attractive, comfortable home will become one of the most important things in life. This means that there will be a constant demand for regular maintenance and home repairs, not to mention any repair projects. According to data from marketing expert IBISWorld, annual growth rates of 3.5% to 8.1% are expected in all sectors of home services, including the installation and maintenance of garage doors. This is not breathtaking growth, but it is stable. What could be better ?!
Education and competency.
If you are new to the repair of garage doors, we advise you to undergo training to obtain the appropriate competence. You should have enough knowledge in the maintenance of automation, wiring and engineering technology. We bring to your attention the best training programs:
Automotive Technology, Building Automation Systems, Commercial Refrigeration, Air Conditioning Technology, and Welding & Joining Technology
Construction & Building Maintenance, Cleaning Service & Maintenance Technician, Green Building Construction Skills, Electrician, HVAC Technician, HVAC Green Technology, Machinist Technology, and Welding Fabrication
Architectural/Engineering Drafting Technology, Automotive Technology, Aviation Technology, Carpentry, Construction Management Technology, Diesel Equipment Technology, Electrical Trades, Emerging Applications in Applied Technologies, Film Technician, Geographic Information Technology, HVACR, Machine Tool Technology, Plumbing and Gas Fitting, Pre-Architecture, Rapid Prototyping & Innovative Design, Surveying Technology, Truck Driving, Unmanned Aircraft Systems, and Welding
CADD with Additive Manufacturing & 3D Printing Technology, Maintenance Electricity & Construction Technology, HVACR, Carpentry & Construction Technology, and Welding & Fabrication Technology
Architectural Technology, Automotive Service Technology, Building Construction Technology, CAD Drafting, and Tool Design Technology, Civil Engineering Technology, Heavy Equipment Technology, HVACR Technology, Industrial Electronics Technology, Manufacturing Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Plastics, and Polymer Engineering Technology, Surveying Technology, and Welding Technology
Architectural & Engineering Computer-Aided Design, Automotive Collision Repair & Refinishing Technology, Automotive Technology & Outdoor Powered Equipment, Building Construction Technology, Electronics & Advanced Technologies, Geographic Information Systems, HVACR, Land Surveying Technology/Geomatics, and Welding Technology
How to get a license for a garage door
The licensing required to carry out garage door repair work depends on where you live. In any case, in order to obtain a C-61 / D-28 license, you must confirm your experience of at least 4 years and pass a legal exam. To qualify for the exam date, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a valid Driver’s License or USA Issued Identification
- Have a Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently be on probation or parole
You must also have:
- 4 Years Journey Level Experience
- A Qualifying Individual to sign off on your experience
- A way to prove your experience if the state asks for documentation
The Contractor License Exam
Contractor licenses are broken down into four categories:
1) A-General Engineering
2) B-General Building
3) C-Specialty classes
4) C-61 / D-Limited Specialty classes
Each category of license except the D-Limited Specialty license class requires that you pass a TRADE exam. C-61 Classification licenses do not have trade portions. You must only pass a LAW exam.
The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) is the governing body for all contractors in the state of California. Their sole responsibility is to protect the consumer public. They ensure that anyone charging over $500 for construction services is qualified and registered with the state. The CSLB maintains a statewide task force that engages in sting operations to stop unlicensed construction activity. Getting caught contracting without a license in California is punishable with fines up to $15,000 and 6 months in the county jail. The CSLB issues the garage doors contractor license to contractors in the state of California.
The current state fees are:
- $330 State Application Fee ( one time fee per application sent to the state board )
- $200 License Activation Fee ( paid every two years )
You will also need to pay for live scan fingerprinting.
Build your business.
Once you have received all the necessary permissions and licenses, you should think about Internet skills. Online skills will help you find your first customers and make yourself known, as not all of your new service orders will come directly from homeowners. We offer a simple guide to action:
- Build your Garage Door business web site with a handy site builder like Tilda, Wix, or whatever. They offer cost-effective hosting with unlimited resources for bandwidth, storage and email accounts.
- Get your toll-free number with Ring Central, which is very economical for a start-up business.
- Create business cards, they will greatly help in promoting your business.
- You will need tools for billing and accepting payments from customers on cards. The “Everis” service allows you to have all this and more.
Promote your business
- Post your garage door service website in free catalogs.
- Place business cards at local grocery stores, businesses, and party venues.
- Buy an inexpensive sign and place it on the road.
- Contact your local gate repair company to find out if they need installation assistance. You can enter into a partnership agreement with a garage dealer.
You get paid, and things are going well)
- Open a free business account and don’t forget to deposit your checks.
- If you did everything correctly, then be prepared to take 3-6 orders a day. Our application for your customers will help you place orders online and not waste time on calls, which will attract even more customers.
- Depending on your region, you can accept a fixed hourly fee for orders plus extra charges for spare parts.
Good luck with your new business!
This article was written by service experts. “EVERIS” is a platform for planning work orders and managing specialists and clients. Thousands of local service companies use the platform to streamline their workflow, eliminate losses, and increase revenue.
Open the free EVERIS online demo for your business to find out how you can improve your performance.